Sharing the summary/ my notes from our conversation:
- Carrom is a payroll software for remote teams
- It was acquired by Oyster last month and Sooraj has joined Oyster product team to expand their global platform.
- He joined TCS after college and left soon after to join Freshworks as a front end developer.
- During his stint in Freshworks, he met with his co-founders to build marketfox which got into YC (W17).
- After marketfox he interviewed with product hunt to join as a front end developer but since they didn't had Indian presence then, had to let go off that opportunity.
- Later, then CTO (Andreas) at product hunt tweeted about him and eventually that helped him land a job in Berlin; at the same time he started Carrom as a side project.
- Sooraj's co-founder Keerthi is also his wife. They met during the college days.
- For 2 years, they worked on Carrom and it was operationally intensive and was not growing as expected. They tried to fundraise as well but couldn't close the deal. Eventually decided to shutdown Carrom earlier this year.
- Few months after this decision, they got a call from an investor with whom they had conversations regarding carrom fundraising - he was involved with Oyster and found a match seeing their roadmap and that carrom was a good fit eventually ending up in acquisition.
One company he wish he co-founded: Stripe
Favourite book: How to Win Friends and Influence People (Dale Carnegie) and occasionally Balarama!
Sharing the full video below:
We've introduced I2E Podcast, you can listen to the conversation here :