Sharing the summary/ my notes from our conversation:
- Joby started Freshersworld.com in 2006. prior to this he was working with Wipro
- Started as a portal for freshers with interview tips and other related content - mostly content aggregation and the tech to support it. ran i like that for almost 3 years.
- Freshersworld was a bootstrapped company even at the point of exit.
- Their YouTube channel hit 1 million subscribers in 2019 (Feb) and received the golden button. This started in 2016, he had a small studio at the office and started creating 3-5 minute videos. The anchors were students from NIFT (Banglore); since their office was very close to NIFT.
- The exit happened with help of investment bankers second time after failing to find a match in first attempt. Teamlease acquired Freshersworld in 2017. It took 9 months to complete the acquisition. Initially Teamlease acquired 30% stake in Freshersworld and 100% absorbed over 3 years (Completed in March 2020).
- Joby exited the employee/ work commitment after 2 years
- Joby has invested in a company called Natureloc. They were doing 1Cr + in revenue when he invested and Joby has been mentoring/ helping them since.
- He has also co-founded another company since called Coolova with friends but stays mostly as a passive founder and investor.
- He is looking start all over again and doing the market research at this point in time.
- He is also looking to work with companies - helping them / mentoring along with investing, especially in segments in which he has a forte - online space, internet, hr, recruitment.
- One company he wish he co-founded : Ola
- Favourite book: Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
Sharing the full video below:
We've introduced I2E Podcast, you can listen to the conversation here : https://anchor.fm/i2epodcast